Sunday 2 March 2014

Zoodles Vs Spoodles

SO after my Spaghetti squash rice paper roll extravaganza on Sunday arvo, I decided to do a Zoodles (Zuchinni noodles) vs Spoodles (spaghetti squash) as a pasta replacement, experiment. I had leftover Spaghetti squash in the fridge that I didn't want to waste, so it made sense! 

It wasn't a hard one, I just made up some puttanesca style sauce with anchovies, red capsicum, olives, chilli, garlic and capers ect. I warmed up the two different batches of noodles slightly and mixed in with the sauce. 

First up: Zoodles. I made these with my Gefu. It's my favorite new toy. Have you seen them? Like a giant pencil sharpener - you put your Zuchinni in one end, twist and it comes out as spaghetti at the other end! (No idea what I'm talking about just google 'Gefu') I loved this! I had a great time doing it too! I steamed mine ever so slightly, it was just enough to soften it a tiny bit. 




Next up - Spoodles. Spaghetti squash noodles:


Totally different texture to the zuchs. The spoodles were nice but i think they are forever going to be 'vermicelli noodles' in my head.....and.... it would be a cold day in hell before I served vermicelli noodles with pasta sauce! 

Verdict - zoodles win in my book as a 'pasta' alternative, but I would definitely use spaghetti squash (experimentally) as a rice 'noodle' replacement. I have some other ideas cooking up in my head, so will give them a whirl when I find some more squash! 

Squash/Zuchinni hating husband verdict: 
He prefers real pasta.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews