Wednesday 1 January 2014

Creamy Mango Ice Cream Bars

I usually get someone to roadtest my recipes before I post, but this one is pretty simple, so fingers crossed you like it! 

WHY do I get someone to road test my recipes?! It's pretty simple. 
I never measure anything. 
I never write anything down. 
I never time how long I cook anything for.... it's just the way I've always cooked. 

I measure by eye. 
I cook by memory,
and I judge readiness by taste, smell and sight. 

So sometimes while I'm merrily jotting down a recipe for here, I do a few things intuitively and forget to write them down... so in order for you to avoid disaster, I try to cook my own recipes as per my own instructions, once I've drafted them on here. Then, to be sure to be sure.. I have a few lovely friends who are happy to be my guinea pigs!

A big part of the reason I started this blog, is because I'm often asked for my recipes - and they are almost always in my head... or if I've followed someone else's recipe, I usually look at the ingredients list and the picture, and then change it according to what I've got in the cupboard or what I think will work better! I can't even count how many times I've given out my spinach pie recipe (it's coming..) or my Tuna Pasta recipe... so this blog now means I have a record of things and I can point everyone in this direction!


Creamy Mango Ice Cream Bars




Ingredients

5 large ripe mangos*
1 cup water (200gms)
1 cup raw sugar (200gms)
the juice of half a lemon
250mls pouring cream (250gms)

*If you have mangos in the fruit bowl that are still a little firm, it's worth waiting a few days until your mangos are nice and ripe, especially if you are planning to omit some/all sugar (see note below)

TM Method

1. peel and slice mangos, set aside
2. weigh 200gms sugar and 200gms water in the TM and cook 
5 mins | 100 deg | speed 2
3. add mango slices you set aside in step 1 to TM bowl and blend 20 secs | Sp 9
4. Set aside 1 cup of blended mango puree from step 3 in the fridge 
5. line a baking tray or a square cake tin with baking paper, you need the paper to come up the sides of the tin by about 2.5cms or an inch (this will make it easier to get your slice out in one piece in the end)
6. pour remaining mango puree into the tin and put in the freezer to set




7. once the first tray of mango has set, add the reserved cup of mango plus 250gms pouring cream into the TM bowl and blend 20 secs | Sp 5
8. Pour on top of frozen mango tray and put back into the freezer to set. 
9. Once the top layer has set, remove tray from freezer, upturn onto a board and rub a cloth thats been rinsed under hot water and wrung out, all along the bottom of the upturned tray. This will soon slightly melt the bottom of the mango mixture making it easier to remove from the tray. 


10. run a knife under hot water and dry and slice your mango icecream into whatever sized bars you like. 





I wrap mine in baking paper and store in a container in the freezer so they are easy to remove and don't all stick together. 




Conventional Method


1. peel and slice mangos, set aside
2. add 1 cup sugar and 1 cup water to a small saucepan and simmer, stirring frequently until all sugar has dissolved. Set aside to cool
3. once your mixture is cool pour into a blender with the set aside mango slices from step 1 until it's completely smooth
4. Set aside 1 cup of mango puree in the fridge from step 3
5. line a baking tray with or a square cake tin with baking paper, you need the paper to come up the sides of the tin by about 2.5cms or an inch 
6. pour remaining mango puree into the tin and put in the freezer to set
7. once the first tray of mango has set, add the reserved cup of mango plus 250mls pouring cream into the blender and blend until combined
8. Pour creamy mixture onto the top of the frozen mango tray and put back into the freezer to set
9. Once the top layer has set, remove tray from freezer, upturn onto a board and rub a cloth thats been rinsed and under hot water and wrung out, all along the bottom of the upturned tray, this will soon slightly melt the bottom of the mango mixture making it easier to remove from the tray. 
10. run a knife under hot water, wipe dry and slice your mango icecream into whatever sized bars you like. 

I wrap mine in baking paper and store in a container in the freezer so they are easy to remove and don't all stick together. 

*If you have mangos in the fruit bowl that are still a little firm, it's worth waiting a few days until your mangos are nice and ripe, especially if you are planning to omit some/all sugar

NOTE:

I do this for my almost 3 yr old without the sugar, using a similar method, except I pour into popsicle trays in reverse. So I set aside the water/mango/lemon mixture, and blend the cream and reserved cup of mango, and pour this into the bottom of the popsicle moulds, just a tiny amount. I let this set in the freezer and then fill to the top with pureed mango. There are no complaints!






If you are dairy free or vegan, you can swap the cream for coconut cream following the same method.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

Total Pageviews